What a delicious soup to warm you up during the cold winter months!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 Cups vegetable broth
- ½ Cup heavy cream
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over low heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the flour to make a roux. Stir constantly for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper if necessary. Remove soup from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender. (Alternatively puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender.)
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in cream. Reheat over low heat just until hot. Do not boil.
Grilled Cheese Croutons (makes 60)
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 6 thin slices sandwich bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a grill pan or a large skillet over medium heat. Spread one side of each of the bread slices with butter. Place 3 slices, butter side down in the hot pan. Top each slice with cheese, then remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Grill until the sandwiches are toasted and browned and the cheese has melted. 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove sandwiches from the pan and allow them to cool slightly. Cut the sandwiches into 1 inch squares.