In today’s digital age, video interviews have become an increasingly common part of the hiring process. While they offer convenience and flexibility for both employers and candidates, they can also feel daunting for those unfamiliar with the format. But fear not, Squires Group is here to help! With our expert tips and guidance, you can ace your next video interview and land your dream job.
Before the Interview:
- Tech Check: Make sure that your computer, webcam, microphone, and internet connection are functioning properly. Have a friend or family member help you do a test call to iron out any glitches.
- Dress for Success: Even though you’re at home, maintain a professional appearance. Avoid colors that wash you out on camera, as well as any loud distracting jewelry.
- Find the Perfect Spot: Choose a quiet, well-lit space with a neutral background with minimal clutter. Set your camera at a flattering angle; no one wants to stare up your nostrils while interviewing!
- Practice Makes Perfect: Rehearse your answers to common interview questions in front of a mirror or with a friend. It may feel a bit silly at first, but it should boost your confidence during the interview and allow you to articulate your thoughts clearly.
- Research the Company: Take the time to learn about the company, its mission, values, and recent news. Demonstrating genuine interest and knowledge about the company you wish to work for and the person who is interesting will always set you apart from the crowd.
During the Interview:
- Start Strong: Arrive early (virtually, of course!) and greet the interviewer with a warm smile and confident demeanor. Make eye contact by looking directly at the camera and remain positive and enthusiastic in your attitude.
- Mind Your Body Language: Sit up straight, maintain good posture, and avoid fidgeting. Feel free to keep a notebook nearby to jot down notes about the position or questions that come up while your interviewer is speaking.
- Listen Actively: Pay close attention to the interviewer’s questions and respond thoughtfully. Don’t interrupt; allow your interviewer to finish their questions before launching into your answer. If you are confused, summarize the question you believe you are being asked followed by, “Is that right?”
- Be Authentic: Remember to be yourself! The right company will value your unique perspective. Reflect on your strengths and career goals to showcase your genuine personality. Know what your weaknesses are, and how to present them. People who cannot describe their strengths and weaknesses in an interview often get passed over, so genuine introspection is key before the interview. Avoid robotic answers – let your enthusiasm shine through!
- Highlight Your Achievements: Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your responses. This will showcase your skills and experience with concrete examples. Quantify your accomplishments with metrics whenever possible to demonstrate the impact of your work.
- Ask Thoughtful Questions: Pre-prepare informed questions about the role, the company, and the team culture. (Remember that research we talked about earlier? This is where you let it shine!)
- Thank Your Interviewer: Express your gratitude for their time and make sure you let them know about your enthusiasm for the company. Follow up with a thank-you email within 24 hours, reiterating your qualifications and interest in the position.
- Turn off notifications: Silence your phone, email, and any other potential distractions to ensure your full focus during the interview.
- Prepare a glass of water: Having water nearby helps you avoid coughing or clearing your throat during the interview, but it can also give you a moment to think as you take a sip and formulate your answer.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Take some deep breaths or do some light stretches before you sign-in to the interview (5-10 minutes early!) to calm your nerves and boost your confidence.
By following these tips and showcasing your unique skills and personality, you can make a lasting impression in your next video interview and take a step closer to landing your dream job. Remember, The Squires Group is always here to support you on your job search journey. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you achieve your career goals!
We hope this blog post has been helpful. Please feel free to share it with your friends and family who are also on the job hunt. Click here to view our open jobs. Want to get in touch? We’d love to hear from you! Contact us here.